Dr Jerome Honnorat Lyon France, works as a neurologist in the Neurological Hospital of Lyon. He is also responsible of a research group in the unity INSERM U433, directed by Dr M.F. Belin (Experimental Neurobiology and Physiopathology). Dr. Honnorat has been working on paraneoplastic neurological syndromes (PNS) for 15 years. They screen more than 2000 sera per year for the presence of anti-neuronal autoantibodies associated with PNS and have collected a total of 200 sera of patients with these syndromes. They have identified a new type of autoantibodies associated with PNS called anti-CV2. This antigen is a 66kDa protein which has been identified as CRMP5.
The group is composed by : J. Honnorat, MD, PhD ; a research ingenior : M. Aguera ; two molecular biologists : V. Rogemont, PhD and T. Quash, PhD.
Immunohistochemistry and immunoblot techniques to detect onconeural antibodies. Protein purification, PCR, RT-PCR, in situ hybridization and gene cloning.
Areas of interest
Clinical presentation of patients with onco-neural antibodies ; early detection of tumor in patients with paraneoplastic neurological syndromes ; identification of new antigens associated with paraneoplastic neurological syndromes.
1. Honnorat J, Antoine JC, Derrington E, et al. Antibodies to a subpopulation of glial cells and a 66 kD developmental protein in patients with paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. J Neurol Neurosurg Psy, 1996, 61:270-78.
2. Honnorat J, Byk T, Kusters I, et al.. Ulip/CRMP proteins are recognized by autoantibodies in paraneoplastic neurological syndromes. Eur J Neurosci, 1999, 11:4226-32.
3. Antoine JC, Cinotti L, Tiliket C, et al. 18F-Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in the diagnosis of cancer in patients with paraneoplastic neurological syndrome and anti-Hu antibodies. Ann Neurol, 2000;48:105-8.
4. Antoine JC, Honnorat J, Camdessanche JP, et al. Paraneoplastic anti-CV2 antibodies react with peripheral nerve and are associated with a mixed axonal and demyelinating peripheral neuropathy. Ann Neurol, 2001;49:214-21.
5. Ricard D, Rogemond V, Charrier E, et al. Isolation and expression pattern of human Unc-33-like phosphoprotein 6/collapsin response mediator protein 5 (Ulip6/CRMP5): coexistence with Ulip2/CRMP2 in Sema3a- sensitive oligodendrocytes. J Neurosci 2001;21:7203-14.